This How-To was updated on May 6, 2003 and then again on September 4, 2003 and again on June 4 2004. Given it’s age, this information is no longer relevant. I’m keeping it up here for historical purposes.
Here’s some code I wrote after getting involved in a discussion at the MT Support Forum. If you’re a MT user and you don’t read their forums, you’re only hurting yourself!
Many WordPress users visit this page hoping to migrate to MT with the help of this script… a visitor here named “seraph” tells us that the current version of WordPress uses a slightly modified database schema which keeps my script from working as designed:
Until i get a spare weekend to install WordPress and rework my SQL, I’m afraid you WordPress users will need to search elsewhere for your export/import needs.
This PHP script will read your B2 CMS entry, authors, and comments tables and format them for easy importation into Movable Type. Important note: all three B2 table must exist in your database or this script will not work! Please follow these directions closely:
2. Click here to view this code in another window.
3. Copy and paste ALL of the code into a new file and save it as export.php on your web-server.
4. Edit export.php to reflect your database info (your host, your login, your pw, etc).
5. Open a browser window and point to your copy of export.php.
6. Select the view source option from your browser’s menus.
7. Copy the source to another file and save that file in your import directory (as described in the MT import documentation. You did read the MT documentation, right?). Name the file something catchy, like import.txt.
8. IMPORTANT: Delete the first line of the file (it should be the line that has eight dashes )